We spent the last week in July in Pinetop, Arizona. It was something I was looking forward to all summer. I had said I would never be pregnant again through the whole summer like I was with Julia. Well, sometimes you just can't plan these things. So, we headed up to the mountains and had a fabulous and fun-filled week! The time went by way too fast!
We stayed at my parents' condo while we were there. My mom, sister-in-law Carrie, and I spent the entire week there with the 6 kids. Chad, TJ and my dad came up on the weekends. The kids were in heaven playing outside, going on walks, doing little crafts, watching movies and just spending time together as a family.
Almost as soon as we get there the kids beg to go on a "nature walk." They each carry a shopping bag with them and gather little sticks, rocks, pinecones and flowers as they go. They get so excited to show what they have found and it is pretty interesting to see what they consider to be worthy of picking up. My dad always leads them along and stops them at various places to tell them about the things they are seeing. As you can see - they are mesmerized by Jido's knowledge.
There was lots of love to go around all week long. Julia loved playing with her cousins Madison and Cali. She and Madison are still like two peas in a pod and just adore each other. It was both of their last days of freedom before they started Kindergarten. They are such sweet little girls!
Everyone was very sad when Daddy left to go home for the week. Here are the boys saying goodbye to him before he drove home. I soon realized when he was gone how much he helps me out with the kids with the little everyday things. I missed him so much while we were apart. Luckily the feeling was mutual and we both found out the saying is very true, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
Justin LOVED being up at the cabin! He could have played outside all day! He and Tyler played baseball, he blew bubbles all over the back porch, he painted rocks with his cousins (well, he actually painted himself more than the rocks) and even saw his first 3-D movie. Life as a 3 year old is treating Justin very well and he still likes to show everyone how old he is. Such a big boy!
So many of the things we did were very nostalgic for me. My parents had a cabin in Clay Springs when my brothers and I were growing up and we spent most of our summers up there. A lot of the things we did this trip were things I remember doing with my cousins. I have so many good memories of being up there with my family. It was fun keeping the traditions going with the kids. Here the girls are in tie-dyed t-shirts my brothers and I wore when we were little.
The newest little Hazar made her debut early in July and took her first trip to Pinetop with us. Mackenzie (TJ and Carrie's baby girl) was quite the hit among everyone. My kids loved getting to hold her and seeing what it's like having a little baby around, since they will be welcoming a little baby sister of their own soon.
Here Mackenzie is experiencing the magic of Chad's chest. He has the touch when it comes to babies and was eager to brush up on his skills. She definitely looks cozy!
One day we went to a horse corral and had the kids go on what was supposed to be pony rides. We were a little shocked when we saw the "ponies." :) It was actually hilarious. Justin wanted to go first and thought he was pretty funny riding on the horse. He kept making the funniest faces. TJ was a good sport to walk alongside while all the kids rode.
Here is Justin after his first ride. He's such a little joker and I wonder where he could have possibly gotten that quality? Hmm . . . . .
Julia was all smiles when she rode. She giggled the whole time.
Tyler - on the other hand - was not very thrilled. As you can see the horse didn't impress him much and he didn't really even want to go. But, when he saw his 3 year old brother volunteer to be the first one in the saddle he reconsidered.
Carrie and I went a little crazy with the arts and crafts. We had daily projects to do and one of them was to make tie-dyed t-shirts for the kids. We were pleasantly surprised at how they turned out and even Grandma Candace threw one of her shirts in there so she could match her grandaughters. Here is Julia and Grandma - two blue-eyed beauties. Julia proudly told me about a month ago that "Grandma Candace gave her her eyeballs." :)
I am always grateful that my mom took my brothers and I up to our cabin for most of the summer. She would entertain us day after day and we got to play and explore all we wanted. We watch TV, didn't play video games, didn't do anything but play together outside. Here she is with the next generation of explorers. Like I said before - it was a wonderful week up in the mountains! Lots of memories were made and it will definitely have to be a yearly tradition!








1 comment:
What a fun getaway!! Love when the cousins spend time together!
Post a Comment