Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksblogging?

It's early Thanksgiving morning and I am in Pinetop at Michelle's parents' cabin and even though no one else is awake, I can't sleep. I am not sure why. Maybe because I have a hacking cough, maybe because I am afraid I won't hear Justin if he gets up and is all alone downstairs - or maybe because I am just so excited to eat turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes and Janice's apple pie and watch football (the Cardinals are actually worth watching this year and it makes me happy). I thought in the absence of any quality television programming (there are no good yoga shows like Wai Lana on up here) I would do some blogging - I never blogged on Thanksgiving before. It is new for me - I shall call it . . . . Thanksblogging. These are some of the things I am most thankful for:

1. These guys
2. Coldplay (do they ever record a substandard song?)
3. A free country to live in (at least for the next 60 days or so)
4. Pine trees (especially tall ones that sway in the wind outside)
5. The smell of whatever Candace has on the stove that makes it smell so good (it could be my natural scent, but I am not sure)
6. TIVO and DVR's (should be on everyone's list, every year, every time)
7. My excellent health (except for the aforementioned hacking cough that I currently have)
8. The Fox News Channel (fair and balanced)
9. Metamucil and Quaker High Fiber oatmeal (enough said)
10. My calling as YM President in Church (I love being the leader of this merry band of idiots)
11. Couponsense (greatest thing ever - like winning a mini lottery every day)
12. The great American pasttime of baseball (only 91 days until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training)
13. Our minivan (never thought I'd say that)
14. November weather in Scottsdale (it's a dry cold)
15. Front end loader washer and dryer (they are just so efficient)
16. Stretching (Not stretch marks - stretching. There is a difference.)
17. Digital cameras (what did we ever do before them?)
18. Weekend Disneyland trips (as Lori would say, "So fun!")
19. This little boy 20. Church basketball (it's always so peaceful and never contentious)
21. Prop 102 in AZ and Prop 8 in CA
22. The fact I have no money in the stock market (not anymore anyways)
23. The booming housing industry (smell the sarcasm)
24. I filled my minivan up for $25 yesterday, unbelievable
25. Yoga (seriously, I love it)
26. Alpine Valley Whole Wheat bread
27. Planet Orange
28. An occasional Diet Mountain Dew
29. This growing young man 30. The Gospel of Jesus Christ (no jokes on this one)
31. Thanksgiving Day Parades (just kidding, I really can't stand them)
32. Holiday music on all 6 CD's in my car
33. Wireless Internet (I am lying flat on my back on a couch as I type this)
34. My wife's uncanny ability to make me happy, no matter how bad a day I have had
35. This sweet young lady 36. Janice is coming to Pinetop for Thanksgiving (her grandkids are so excited to show Grandma around)
37. Our new director of Homeland Security - Mr. Napolitano (because that means he can't be our governor anymore)
38. Email and texting (because now I can go through life without ever having to actually speak to anybody)
39. Jim Rome (because I love when he reads Chad in the AZ desert's emails)
40. Finally, the goodness of God in my life. I am convinced that no one on Earth, or at least no one that I know of, has been blessed more undeservingly than I have.
I hope all that read this have a wonderful Thanksgiving and have the chance to do your own Thanksblogging. Despite all the negativity in the world, we really all have so much to be thankful for.

7 comments:

wendo said...

Thank you for posting this. I laughed through the entire thing and yet it still made me realize I have a lot to be thankful for, too. Brian is thoroughly impressed that you are the "Chad in the AZ Desert" from Rome. And I wholeheartedly agree with #40 - no one has been blessed more undeservingly than you have. :)

Natty said...

That's funny Wendi - I was going to completely agree with #40. Your new family pictures are beautiful and I want to know who took them and where.

Nikki said...

Nice list Chad funny and serious just like you- Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Great list! So fun to read!!!! Darling pictures too....cracks me up that we just took family pictures too and have very similar poses......happy thanksgiving!

Shannon said...

Great post Chad! Makes me laugh like always but very touching too :)

Carolyn said...

I loved this post Chad! You have a way with words....so funny! And your family is soooooooooooooooooo beautiful! What precious pictures. You are a lucky man. I absolutely loved reading this!

Nabby Hazar said...

cutest pictures ever. i love the last one of your guys walking holding hands. i can't stop looking at it.